September is Library Card Sign-up Month, a time when the American Library Association and libraries nationwide join together to remind parents, caregivers and students that signing up for a library card is the first step towards academic achievement and lifelong learning. Sign-up today!
Check out these top ten reasons for having a library card:
- Books: Access all the books in all the formats (eBook, audiobook, large print, Playways, etc.)!
- Librarians: These friendly folks are happy to help connect you with everything from your next favorite book to where to find voter information.
- Branches: There are 12 OPL locations throughout Omaha. Library branches are expected to reopen in early October. Until then, visit OPL's virtual branch omahalibrary.org for the most current information and to connect with resources.
- MyOPL: Your library account allows you to place and manage items on hold, and designate a branch for convenient pick-up. You may also create bookshelves to help track your reading, and read and share reviews for other readers. MyOPL is available as a mobile app through the Apple App Store or Google Play.
- Music: Download up to four free songs per week using Freegal – and they are yours to keep! You can also stream up to three hours of music per day.
- Movies: You can check out DVDs at all 12 OPL locations.
- Magazines: Borrow print magazines from your favorite branch or check them out online from Flipster.
- Online learning resources: Gale Courses, Lynda.com, LearningExpress and Mango Languages are just a few of the great learning tools available through omahalibrary.org.
- Research resources: Access Omaha Star and Omaha World-Herald digital archives, and many other family history research tools.
- Partner passes: When available, check out free entry passes to Heartland B-cycle, Fontenelle Forest, Lauritzen Gardens, Omaha Children’s Museum, and Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium.
There are many more reasons to love your library. If you already have a library card, make it your mission to get a friend or family member to sign up for their library card in September.