September is Library Card Sign-up Month, a time when the American Library Association and libraries nationwide join together to remind parents, caregivers and students that signing up for a library card is the first step towards academic achievement and lifelong learning. Sign-up today!
Check out these top ten reasons for having a library card:
- Books: Access all the books in all the formats (eBook, audiobook, large print, Playaways, etc.)!
- Librarians: These friendly folks are happy to help connect you with everything from your next favorite book to where to find voter information.
- Branches: There are 12 OPL locations throughout Omaha. You may also visit OPL's virtual branch omahalibrary.org for the most current information and to connect with resources.
- MyOPL: Your library account allows you to place and manage items on hold, and designate a branch for convenient pick-up. You may also create bookshelves to help track your reading, and read and share reviews for other readers. MyOPL is available as a mobile app through the Apple App Store or Google Play.
- Music: Download up to four free songs per week using Freegal – and they are yours to keep! You can also stream up to three hours of music per day.
- Movies: You can check out DVDs at all 12 OPL locations.
- Magazines: Borrow print magazines from your favorite branch or check them out online from Flipster.
- Online learning resources: Gale Courses, Lynda.com, LearningExpress, Mango Languages, and Tutor.com are just a few of the great learning tools available through omahalibrary.org.
- Research resources: Access Omaha Star and Omaha World-Herald digital archives, and many other family history research tools.
- Partner passes: When available, check out free entry passes to Heartland B-cycle, Fontenelle Forest, Lauritzen Gardens, The Durham Museum, Omaha Children’s Museum, and Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium.
There are many more reasons to love your library. If you already have a library card, make it your mission to get a friend or family member to sign up for their library card in September.