September is Library Card Sign-up Month, a time when the American Library Association and libraries nationwide join together to remind parents, caregivers and students that signing up for a library card is the first step towards academic achievement and lifelong learning. Sign-up today!
Check out these top ten reasons for having a library card:
- Books: Access all the books in all the formats (eBook, audiobook, large print, prerecorded mp3, etc.)!
- Librarians: These friendly folks are happy to help connect you with everything from your next favorite book to where to find tax documents.
- Branches: There are 12 OPL locations throughout Omaha that provide great spaces for meetings, studying, computer-use, creativity and more.
- Music: Download up to four free songs per week using Freegal – and they are yours to keep!
- Movies: You can check out DVDs at all 12 OPL locations.
- Magazines: Borrow print magazines from your favorite branch or check them out online from RBdigital.
- Partner passes: When available, check out free entry passes to Heartland B-cycle, Fontenelle Forest, Lauritzen Gardens, Omaha Children’s Museum, and Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium.
- Online learning resources: Gale Courses, Lynda.com, LearningExpress and Mango Languages are just a few of the great learning tools available through omahalibrary.org.
- Research resources: Access Omaha Star and Omaha World-Herald digital archives, and many other family history research tools.
- Consumer Reports: Free access to articles, ratings, reviews and news about popular products.
There are many more reasons to love your library. If you already have a library card, make it your mission to get a friend or family member to sign up for their library card in September.