OPL invites all community members to find their place at the library by exploring their passions and discovering new interests through free technology, programs and services. National Library Week, April 3-9, is an annual celebration highlighting the valuable role libraries, librarians and library workers play in transforming communities and improving lives.
Molly Shannon, multiple Emmy-nominated and Spirit Award-winning actress, comedian, and legendary Saturday Night Live cast member, will help celebrate our nation’s libraries as the honorary chair of National Library Week. “I am so honored to serve as honorary chair of National Library Week for 2022. My mom was a librarian. She encouraged kids to read. So, the work of librarians and libraries has such a special place in my heart," said Shannon.
This year's theme for National Library Week, “Connect with Your Library,” promotes the idea that libraries are places to get connected to technology by using broadband, computers, and other resources. Libraries also offer opportunities to connect with media, programs, ideas, and classes—in addition to books. Most importantly libraries also connect communities to each other.
Celebration Days During National Library Week
- Monday, April 4: State of America's Libraries Report released, including Top Ten Frequently Challenged Books of 2021.
- Tuesday, April 5: National Library Workers Day, opens a new window, a day for library staff, users, administrators, and Friends groups to recognize the valuable contributions made by all library workers.
- Wednesday, April 6: National Library Outreach Day (formerly National Bookmobile Day), a day to celebrate library outreach and the dedicated library professionals who are meeting their patrons where they are.
- Thursday, April 7: Take Action for Libraries Day, a day to rally advocates to support libraries.
How to Celebrate
- Visit your library! Whether you're visiting in person or virtually, libraries offer the opportunity to connect with new worlds through access to technology, multimedia content, and educational programs. Take time to connect with your library during National Library Week to see all OPL has to offer. View a full schedule of events taking place at OPL here.
- Share your library love by posting to Facebook, opens a new window, Instagram, opens a new window, or Twitter, opens a new window and tag @OmahaLibrary or include #OmahaLibrary in your post. You may also participate in the #MyLibrary promotion to be eligible for a $100 Visa gift card.
First sponsored in 1958, National Library Week is a national observance sponsored by the American Library Association (ALA) and libraries of all types across the country each April.