The library has helpful tools and information for teachers, parents, and homeschooling families.
- Book Club Bags: Perfect for a classroom or group wanting to read, enjoy, and discuss a great book. Titles are available online and most bags contain 10-20 copies of the book along with questions and activities. Book bags run the gamut from board books to adult non-fiction titles. View the full list of Book Club Bags.
- English Language Learning Bags: A kit designed for individuals and families learning English as a second language. Each kit contains print books and playaways at three learning levels so the entire family may benefit from the kit, regardless their ELL progress. View the full list of English Language Learning Bags.
- Literacy Collection: Books designed for beginners, people who speak English as a second language, and readers with limited reading comprehension. Titles appeal to all ages, fiction and nonfiction. View the Literacy Collection.
- Science Kits: From microscopes to telescopes, rocks and minerals, or the human body - there are multiple science kits available for an extended checkout period of 6 weeks. View the full list of Science Kits.
- Storyboxes: Boxes feature classroom-favorite themes and are filled with props, manipulatives and 5 books that give a concrete sense of each concept. View the full list of Storyboxes.
- Toy Library: Children learn through playtime, and access to age-appropriate toys that focus on critical learning skills is vital. We offer more than 100 different age appropriate toys, including toys adapted for children with special needs. View the full list of Toys.
- Freegal: Download four free songs a week. Choose from a wide selection of artists and genres including songs that can be used in lesson plans and movement activities for youth.
- Gale Courses: Online courses for academic learning, professional development, and personal enrichment available for free with your library card.
- Learning Express: Online test prep help and so much more. Whether you are trying to get your GED, deciding on a career path, or trying to get into college the Learning Express Library has a variety of resources to help.
- Little Pim & Mango Languages: Hola, Ciao, Guten Tag, G’day … say hello to learning a new language through interactive lessons. Even the youngest learners can start by watching fun videos and absorbing the language.
- Lynda.com: Take online classes from experts at your own pace, for free at OPL! Topics available include software, business, and design.
- Tutor.com: Available from 2 pm to midnight every day you can receive online live one-on-one instruction in any subject from kindergarten through college. There are also drop-off services for essay reviews or resume writing.
- Tumblebooks: Not just for the little ones, our Tumblebook collection is an awesome resource that contains hundreds of electronic picture books, graphic novels, and chapter books. Perfect for reluctant readers from preschool through middle school.
- Educator Business Account: With a letter from the business or school principal, teachers are eligible to obtain a free Omaha Public Library card to use to check out items for classroom use.
- Field Trips & Class Visits: Contact your local library to arrange for a tour of the library and its resources for your group or classroom. The librarian will be happy to arrange a classroom visit uniquely suited to fit your needs.
- Librarians: Looking for ways to supplement your curriculum and stretch your budget? Then talk to your local librarian about how to fully utilize all the libraries’ resources. Can’t make it to the library for programs or events due to lack of transportation? We can arrange visits to your location for literacy storytimes, book clubs, etc.