The library has helpful tools and information for teachers, parents, and homeschooling families.
- eBooks & Downloads: Enjoy eBooks & downloads on a computer, tablet or mobile device. A variety of titles are available, it’s easy to use, and there are no late fees. Look for these eBook and download platforms: Libby by OverDrive, opens a new window, TumbleBooks, opens a new window, JLG Digital for Students, opens a new window, and Project Gutenberg, opens a new window.
- STEAM Story Connections, opens a new window: STEAM Story Connections videos feature a review of a TumbleBook, a simple experiment, craft or activity related to Science, Technology, Engineering, Art or Math (STEAM); and suggestions or demonstrations of a way to include literacy and language arts skills. Activities use common household items and modifications are suggested to help viewers complete the project with the items they have in their homes.
- Online Learning, opens a new window: OPL offers a variety of resources to help homeschoolers, including Learning Express, Mango Languages, Explora for Elementary Students, and more.
- Freegal, opens a new window: Download four free songs a week. Choose from a wide selection of artists and genres including songs that can be used in lesson plans and movement activities for youth.
- Gale Courses, opens a new window: Online courses for academic learning, professional development, and personal enrichment available for free with your library card.
- Homeschool to College: The Essential Guide, opens a new window: Learn how to transition your homeschooled child to college.
- Learning Express, opens a new window: Online test prep help and so much more. Whether you are trying to get your GED, deciding on a career path, or trying to get into college the Learning Express Library has a variety of resources to help.
- LinkedIn Learning, opens a new window: Take online classes from experts at your own pace, for free at OPL! Topics available include software, business, and design.
- Mango Languages, opens a new window: Hola, Ciao, Guten Tag, G’day … say hello to learning a new language through interactive lessons. Even the youngest learners can start by watching fun videos and absorbing the language.
- Tumblebooks, opens a new window: Not just for the little ones, our Tumblebook collection is an awesome resource that contains hundreds of electronic picture books, graphic novels, and chapter books. Perfect for reluctant readers from preschool through middle school.
- Book Club Bags: Perfect for a classroom or group wanting to read, enjoy, and discuss a great book. Titles are available online and most bags contain 10-20 copies of the book along with questions and activities. Book bags run the gamut from board books to adult non-fiction titles. View the full list of Book Club Bags.
- Great Courses on DVD: Professor-led college courses on a variety of subjects to help you further your lifelong learning goals. Browse the collection.
- Literacy Collection: Books designed for beginners, people who speak English as a second language, and readers with limited reading comprehension. Titles appeal to all ages, fiction and nonfiction. View the Literacy Collection.
- Educator Business Account: With a letter from the business or school principal, teachers are eligible to obtain a free Omaha Public Library card to use to check out items for classroom use.
- Librarians: Looking for ways to supplement your curriculum and stretch your budget? Then talk to your local librarian about how to fully utilize all the libraries’ resources. Can’t make it to the library for programs or events due to lack of transportation? We can arrange visits to your location for literacy storytimes, book clubs, etc.