Many people don't realize that Omaha Public Library (OPL) offers books—and so much more—at its 12 locations across Omaha! This Thanksgiving, learn about some of the things that all Douglas County residents can be thankful for at OPL!
- People — While the Internet now answers some of the questions people once brought to their local librarian, Omaha Public Library staff are one of the best resources available to find the right answers for patrons. Staff keep OPL running smoothly, manage its extensive collection, share reading recommendations, curate book lists on almost any topic imaginable, and even create custom book lists for patrons by request. Patrons may also ask OPL librarians questions online when trying to recall a book title, answer a question about local history, or any other topic of interest!
- Books, movies, music & more — The materials a library has—also know as its collection—are the bread and butter of any library, and OPL has both physical and digital collections available for patrons to enjoy. The digital collection has over 26,000 eBooks and 9,600 eAudiobooks that patrons can check out and download to their devices from anywhere with an Internet connection. OPL's physical collection, which is distributed across all 12 locations, includes just under 638,000 books, DVDs and BluRay discs, audiobooks, music CDs, book club bags and toys. If there's something you'd like to check out that isn't available at OPL, any OPL patron can log in to their account and suggest a purchase, or request it from a library that does have that item through interlibrary loan.
- Facilities — OPL's 12 locations across Omaha each have public work areas, computers and free wifi. Most locations also have meeting rooms available for the public to reserve online to use when they aren't booked for library events. The facilities offer a place for anyone who may need an escape from the cold, a quiet spot to study or work, or a place for their children to play and learn. For many people, the library is a home away from home.
Digital Resources — The benefits of having a library card don't end when you leave your local branch! In addition to OPL's digital materials, patrons can also access OPL's digital resources online from anywhere, giving them the opportunity to:
- Enroll in six-week online Gale Courses
- Learn new skills through Lynda tutorials
- Create a step-by-step plan how to build a small business with Gale Small Business Builder
- Prepare for careers or tests like the ACT, SAT, GRE and more with LearningExpress Library
- Download the latest issues of your favorite magazines to your devices with RB Digital
- Get free, personalized online homework help from Tutor.com
- Access product ratings, reviews and more to help make smart purchases with Consumer Reports
- And so much more! Browse all of OPL's online resources here.
- Entertainment — Each OPL location hosts educational and fun programs weekly, in addition to system-wide events like the annual Summer Reading Program and Omaha Reads. Each branch has printable monthly calendars that list their events, so you can stay in-the-know with what is happening at the location nearest you! Patrons can also check out movies, download four free songs each week from Freegal Music, or check out passes to local attractions like Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium, Fontenelle Forest or the Omaha Children's Museum, throughout the year, while supplies last.
- It's all FREE! — OPL is publicly and privately funded and demands no additional cost to Douglas County residents, ensuring access to everyone in the communities that OPL serves. If you don't have a library card already, learn about getting one today to begin utilizing all that OPL has to offer!