Local Writing Groups & Organizations
- Feedback at KANEKOopens a new window: Feedback is an ongoing series that aims to elevate the conversation about the writing process. This literary reading series invites featured writers to present new works or works-in-progress in order to get audience feedback on those works. Part reading, part conversation, the goal of feedback is to provide working writers with a space to take creative risks, to invigorate the audience by inviting them into the writer’s creative development, and to provide the audience an opportunity to generate their own work.
- Fine Linesopens a new window: Fine Lines is a 501 © 3 nonprofit educational organization that provides a place where creative writers share their written ideas. Their quarterly journal is dedicated to the writing development of all its members.
- Nebraska Writers Collectiveopens a new window: The Nebraska Writers Collective is an Omaha-based 501(c)3 non-profit organization that fosters personal empowerment and community-building in the Midwest through creative writing and performance poetry. We pursue this mission through a variety of literary outreach programs, but primarily through hands-on, interactive workshops focused on the creation and performance of original writing.
- Nebraska Writers Guildopens a new window: A Non-Profit 501(c)3 Corporation, the Nebraska Writers Guild, Inc., is a professional association for writers of all disciplines, literary agents, educators, publishers, librarians, and youth who are interested in promoting the craft of writing in Nebraska. The organization offers aspiring writers, award-winning authors, and everyone in between a network for improving their craft.
- Nebraska Writers’ Workshopopens a new window: Nebraska Writers’ Workshop provides Omaha-area writers of all genre and form the opportunity to come together for mutual support, artistic growth and non-credit learning at no charge. The workshop teaches writers of any genre or form how to objectively assess the art and craft of their own work, thus growing in confidence and eventually getting published or produced.
- Nebraska Writing Projectopens a new window: The Nebraska Writing Project, a network of professional educators and affiliated writers, provides opportunities to improve, enhance and celebrate writing for classrooms and communities across Nebraska.
- Romance Authors of the Heartlandopens a new window: The mission of the Romance Authors of the Heartland is to promote excellence in romantic fiction and advance the professional interests of career-focused romance writers through networking and advocacy, dissemination of information, professional education, publications, and other appropriate activities, and to provide continuing support for writers within the romance publishing industry.
Online Writing Groups
- National Novel Writing Monthopens a new window: National Novel Writing Month takes place in November and encourages participants begin working towards the goal of writing a 50,000-word novel by 11:59 PM on November 30. National Novel Writing Month believes in the transformational power of creativity. They provide the structure, community, and encouragement to help people find their voices, achieve creative goals, and build new worlds—on and off the page.
- Scribophileopens a new window: Scribophile is an online writing workshop and writer’s community. Writers of all skill levels can join to improve each other’s work with thoughtful critiques and by sharing their writing experience.
- WritersCafe.orgopens a new window: WritersCafe.org is an online writing community where writers can post their work, get reviews and befriend other writers.