OPL utilizes volunteers to augment and enhance the delivery of library services. Volunteer opportunities offer patrons a way to contribute to the community and to learn more about the library.
Every volunteer assignment or activity must have a written volunteer position description. This description provides both staff and volunteers with a clear explanation of responsibilities, qualifications, and time commitment needed for the assignment or activity.
Volunteer positions may include assignments or projects that are:
- Short-term or long-term to be completed within a defined period
- Ongoing without an identified end date
- OPL accepts volunteers ages 11 and older. Volunteers ages 11-18 must have parental approval.
- Volunteers may be subject to a background check and/or reference checks.
- Volunteers must comply with the guidelines and procedures in the Volunteer Orientation Manual and abide by the same rules of conduct, ethical standards, and confidentiality requirements that govern staff.
- OPL does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, gender identity, or political beliefs.
- Volunteers may not be assigned to displace any City of Omaha employee from a paid position. A volunteer position may not replace any employee position which is vacant due to retirement, resignation, or termination.
- The volunteer coordinator conducts screening interviews for volunteers to determine their qualifications, ability, and suitability to volunteer at the library. The number of volunteers accepted is based upon the amount of work and supervisory time allocated and needed.
- A volunteer may be terminated at any time at the library's sole discretion with or without cause.
- Causes for termination include but are not limited to:
- Not performing work at an appropriate level of capability
- Negative attitude, offensive language, inappropriate dress, or misconduct
- Violation of city, state, or federal laws
- Unexcused absences
OPL staff shall have responsibility for enforcing this policy.
Approved by the Board of Trustees
of the Omaha Public Library October 16, 2007
Re-approved July 18, 2019