Who can get a library card?
- Anyone who lives in Douglas County
- Anyone who owns property in Douglas County
- Any business or school located within Douglas County
- Active military personnel
- Any student age 5 through 18
- Current Metro Community College students
- Lincoln City Libraries cardholders
(City of Omaha residents by virtue of Chapter 14, Omaha Municipal Code; Douglas County residents by virtue of Interlocal Cooperative Agreement--City of Omaha/Omaha Library Board/Douglas County, approved March, 1997; Lincoln City Libraries, approved April 21, 1990)
To create a new library account, the applicant must be present, including accounts for children.
* For check-out privileges, photo identification as well as proof of street address or property owned is required. Active military personnel must provide active military identification. Businesses and schools must provide an official written request from the business owner or school principal.
A mailing address of Omaha, Nebraska is not sufficient to determine eligibility for free privileges. The resident address of the applicant or the property/business owned by the applicant must be within Douglas County for free library privileges. Funding for the Omaha Public Library is supported by the taxpayers of Douglas County only.
Lost or Stolen Library Cards
Lost or stolen library cards must be reported immediately in person or by telephone to prevent unauthorized use or access. Patrons are responsible for all use of their library cards and all items checked out on their accounts. Lost or stolen library cards can be replaced with photo identification at any Omaha Public Library location. A patron is allowed free replacements.
If you have a physical impairment which prohibits you from visiting the library, you may be eligible for the Library Homebound Program. To apply, please call the Circulation Department at 402.444.4801.
Non-Douglas County residents
Anyone who does not live in Douglas County and is not eligible for reciprocal privileges can purchase a non-resident membership which entitles each member of a household to library privileges for the amount of time purchased 4 months for $25 or 12 months for $75. (Board policy, August 18, 2010)
Please register in person at any one of the Omaha Public Library locations. Each household member must be present to receive his/her library card. If you reside outside of traveling distance to the Omaha Public Library and wish to purchase a non-resident membership, please call 402.444.4801 for assistance.
Limited free privileges are also offered to all non-resident students ages 5 through 18.
Forms of acceptable identification (Photo ID required for check-out privileges):
- Current Nebraska state ID
- Current driver's license or automobile registration
- Printed checks (personal, payroll)
- Utility bills (OPPD, MUD, telephone -- dated within the past 30 days)
- Business correspondence on official letterhead dated within the past 30 days (envelopes will not be accepted)
- Current lease, mortgage papers, or rent receipts that officially state the property address (that is, no handwritten receipts; must be a preprinted form which shows the bank or realty company name)
- Current OPL library card of another family member
- Current Mexican Consulate I.D.
Library Card Renewal
Library cards for resident adults and juveniles are renewable every five years. At the time of account renewal, the patron must appear in person and re-verify all account information with proper documentation, as well as pay any fines/fees due. At the time of account renewal, adult patrons must appear in person and re-verify all account information with proper documentation, as well as pay any fines/fees due. A parent can renew his/her child's account with parent's documentation and payment of any fees due. Once a child reaches age 14, he/she will need to be present for account renewal. **Checkout privileges are suspended if a patron owes more than $10.00 or has more than 10 items overdue. All fees due should be paid in full at the time of library card renewal. However, if you cannot pay your balance in full, we will be happy to set up a monthly payment plan for you. An initial payment of 10% of the total amount due is required to begin a monthly payment plan.
Why do I need a PIN (Personal Identification Number)?
The PIN acts as a security feature. Library records are confidential by law in the State of Nebraska.
A PIN allows a patron to quickly and easily access information about his/her library account over the telephone and over the Internet. The PIN is also required to gain computer access at the library. It is the patron’s responsibility to change the PIN and/or report a lost or stolen library card immediately if the patron wishes to restrict access to the account.
A PIN cannot be disclosed, changed or added over the phone. A PIN can only be changed in person and current identification must be provided. In addition, it is the patron's responsibility to change the PIN or declare his/her card lost if he/she wishes to restrict access to his/her account.
Approved by the Board of Trustees
of the Omaha Public Library, April 15, 2015