In order to maintain a safe and welcoming environment for reading, learning and other library activities, the Omaha Public Library requires all patrons to comply with the following rules.
- Eating is allowed in all areas except for prohibited areas. Prohibited areas include public computer stations, or around any other library equipment and in the Genealogy section.
- Drinking non-alcoholic beverages from approved containers is allowed. This includes opened cans of soda, disposable coffee cups with lids, and twist-off containers.
- Examples of approved beverage containers:
- Alcohol and tobacco products are not allowed. (Alcohol may be consumed at authorized specific library functions.)
- Liquids such as soup should also be carried in covered containers.
- Patrons may eat and drink while using their own equipment.
- Patrons are expected to “leave no trace” and take responsibility for maintaining a sanitary and pleasant environment by removing crumbs, wiping off sticky surfaces, and cleaning up after themselves. Properly disposing of trash in the library-provided receptacles or removing it from the building is expected.
- Patrons who cannot adequately remove the food or drink spill, should report it to Library Staff so that prompt action can be taken to minimize the damages.
- Unattended food and drink may be removed and discarded.
- Library staff reserves the right to ask anyone who disregards the above conditions to remove the food or drink from the building immediately or to leave the building.
Approved by the Board of Trustees
of the Omaha Public Library, May 18, 2011
Re-approved, April 15, 2015