OPL is committed to preserving a safe and welcoming environment for library activities and patrons. The purpose of the policy is to identify, to the extent possible, a code of conduct for patrons using any OPL facility. Failure to comply with this code of conduct may result in expulsion or barring from OPL facilities.
OPL visitors are expected to comply with all of OPL and City of Omaha policies and conduct themselves in accordance with the following code of conduct. This list is not exhaustive. Inappropriate behavior not specifically identified in this policy may be identified on a case by case basis.
Be considerate of fellow library users.
- Verbally or physically harassing or threatening other patrons, volunteers, or staff will not be tolerated. Harassment may include, but is not limited to: initiating unwanted conversation; impeding access to or within the building; or other behavior that reasonably can be perceived to be hostile, threatening, intrusive, or offensive.
- Cell phones must be on silent or vibrate and phone calls should be answered quietly.
- Use headphones with audio/video devices.
- Soliciting and panhandling are not allowed on library property.
- Entering OPL facilities with hygiene or public health conditions that interfere with the use of the library by other people is not allowed. This could include but is not limited to clothing or body odor, insects, pests, or unsanitary belongings.
- No excessive public displays of affection.
- Respect one another including library staff and other library users.
- No fighting
- No weapons
- No abusive or obscene language
Respect library property.
- Do not deface, damage, or destroy library materials or property.
- Leave library furniture where you find it.
- Eat or drink in designated areas only.
- Dispose of trash in waste receptacles.
- Alcohol and illegal drugs may not be possessed, consumed, or sold on library property.
- Roller skating and skateboarding are not allowed on library property.
- The use of tobacco products and smoking in any form, including electronic cigarettes, is only permitted outside library buildings in designated areas.
- Bathing and clothes-washing is not allowed on library property.
- No tampering with or using computers in a manner that violates the computer usage policy.
Comply with any reasonable requests from OPL and security staff.
- Check out all library materials before removing them from the premises.
- Sleeping is not allowed on library property.
- All personal items must fit under a chair and cannot be left unattended. OPL staff are not responsible for items left unattended.
- Loitering is not allowed in high traffic areas including doorways, stairways, entrances, or exits.
- Shoes and shirts are required.
- Limit the number of people at a computer to 2 or fewer.
- Only certified service animals are allowed in OPL facilities. Other animals are allowed only by permission of the branch manager or executive library director.
- Children under age 11 cannot be left unattended.
OPL and security personnel shall have responsibility for enforcing this policy. Procedures for handling disruptive behavior and other prohibited conduct have been established, including calling local law enforcement when necessary. Failure to comply with this code of conduct may result in expulsion and/or barring from OPL facilities or other action deemed appropriate by OPL’s executive director. Anyone wishing to appeal their expulsion or barring may submit an appeal form to library administration.
Approved by the Board of Trustees
of the Omaha Public Library June 16, 2004
Re-approved July 18, 2019