OPL recognizes its role as a source of community information. Most locations have bulletin boards to provide display space for relevant community information.
Bulletin boards will be used for the following types of information:
- Postings of forthcoming educational, social, civic, charitable, cultural, or recreational activities
- Postings by nonprofit organizations, groups, agencies, or by any federal, state, or local government agency providing services to citizens
- Postings announcing community services and volunteer opportunities
- Nonpartisan election information
Bulletin boards may not be used for the following types of information:
- Commercial notices, solicitations, business cards, third-party job postings, and retail advertising
- Personal notices of items for sale
- Personal solicitations for fundraisers (i.e. walkathons, auctions, galas, etc.)
- Materials that support or oppose any political candidate or ballot measure
- Materials that support or oppose a specific religious conviction
- All postings must be approved by the branch manager or designated staff member.
- All postings must be appropriate for viewing by all ages.
- Items shall not be posted on adjacent walls, windows, or doors.
- OPL reserves the right to remove any posted item. Materials posted or left for free distribution without approval will be discarded.
- OPL may limit the period of time any item may remain on display.
- OPL reserves the right to provide space for announcements which provides information to visitors or residents on a continuing basis (such as bus schedules, crisis services, etc.).
- OPL assumes no responsibility for the preservation or protection of materials posted or placed for free distribution.
- Due to limited space priority is given to library information, including that of OPL’s joint facility partners.
Permission to post does not in any way constitute library endorsement of a group’s policies or beliefs. Purposes, objectives, or views of groups using the bulletin board space shall not be advertised in any way to suggest that they are endorsed by OPL.
All OPL personnel shall be responsible for enforcing this policy. Postings are accepted as space permits.
Approved by the Board of Trustees
of the Omaha Public Library May 26, 2009
Re-approved July 18, 2019