Winter break from school is often highly anticipated by kids and teens throughout the community and Omaha Public Library (OPL) is the perfect place to spend the downtime! Keep young minds active and engaged by checking out books, music, movies and more, or by attending one of the many free and fun programs offered for kids and teens. Some programs have specific age recommendations or may require registration. Unless otherwise specified, programs last an hour or less. Visit omahalibrary.org or contact the hosting location for more details.
Kids and teens who aren't able to make it to the library over break can also enjoy OPL's online resources, including reading recommendations, downloadable eBooks and audiobooks, and digital music from Freegal, and more! Visit omahalibrary.org/kids and omahalibrary.org/teens.
Holiday hours: Dec. 24 – all locations close at 3 p.m.; Dec. 25 – all locations closed; Dec. 31 – all locations close at 6 p.m.; Jan. 1 – all locations closed
Saturday, Dec. 21, 1-3 p.m.: Escape Room for Grades 2-6 at Florence Branch, 2920 Bondesson St., 402-444-5299; registration is required.
Sunday, Dec. 22, 4 p.m.: Read to a Dog at Milton R. Abrahams Branch, 5111 N. 90th St., 402-444-6284
Tuesday, Dec. 24:
- 10 a.m.: Snow Much Fun at Millard Branch, 13214 Westwood Ln., 402-444-4848. Make crafts, play games and enjoy seasonal music at this family event inspired by snow.
- 10:30 a.m.: ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas Story & Craft at Saddlebrook Branch, 14850 Laurel Ave., 402-444-5780
Friday, Dec. 27:
- 10:30 a.m.: Papio NRD Owls at Florence Branch
- 10:30 a.m.: Family Storytime at W. Dale Clark Main Library, 215 S. 15th St., 402-444-4800
- 1-2:30 p.m.: Family De-Stress Fest at Millard Branch. Participate in yoga, make a stress ball or color a relaxing picture.
- 2 p.m.: Jeff Quinn Magic Show at Charles B. Washington Branch, 2868 Ames Ave., 402-444-4849
- 2 p.m.: Read to a Dog at Millard Branch; registration is required.
- 2-5 p.m.: Toy Story 4 Afternoon Craft and Movie at Milton R. Abrahams Branch
Saturday, Dec. 28:
- 1-3 p.m.: Escape Room for Grades 4-12 at Florence Branch; registration is required.
- 2-4 p.m.: Food and Gaming at Millard Branch
Sunday, Dec. 29, 4 p.m.: Read to a Dog at Milton R. Abrahams Branch
Tuesday, Dec. 31:
- 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.: Noon Year’s Eve at Saddlebrook Branch. The program starts with a storytime reading of "Where the Wild Things Are," followed by a wild rumpus with bounce and play in the Community Center. Cozy up with a good book throughout the library or join us for a dance party in the Commons. At the stroke of noon, there will be a balloon drop!
- 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m.: Noon Year’s Eve Party at Florence Branch. Read stories, sing, dance, eat snacks, craft, and make party hats until we ring in the New Year at noon! Registration is recommended.
Friday, Jan. 3, 2 p.m.: Read to a Dog at Millard Branch; registration is required.
Visit omahalibrary.org or your neighborhood branch for information about additional programs and services offered at Omaha Public Library’s 12 metro locations.