Winter break from school is often welcomed warmly by kids and teens throughout the community. It doesn’t take long, however, before some students are struck by the boredom bug. Omaha Public Library (OPL) can help beat the winter break doldrums with a variety of free programs offered for kids and teens. Some programs have specific age recommendations or may require registration. Visit omahalibrary.org or contact the hosting location for more details.
Holiday hours: Dec. 24 & 25 – all locations closed; Dec. 31 – all locations close at 6 p.m. (except W. Dale Clark Main Library, open until 8 p.m. for fireworks viewing); Jan. 1 – all locations closed
Wednesday, Dec. 27, 2-3 p.m.: Dr. Oxygen Science Winter Fun Day at Milton R. Abrahams Branch, 5111 N. 90th St., 402-444-6284. The wonderful world of science will be demonstrated by local extraordinary science teacher, Dr. Oxygen. This program is for the whole family.
Thursday, Dec. 28, 2-3 p.m.: Zoo to You at Milton R. Abrahams Branch. Zoo education specialists from Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium will bring animals and fun facts to share. This program is for all ages.
Friday, Dec. 29, 1-3 p.m.: School’s Out Food and Fun at W. Dale Clark Main Library, 215 S. 15th St., 402-444-4800. Play games and make snacks.
Wednesday, Jan. 3
- 1-2:30 p.m.: DIY Stress Relievers Craft at South Omaha Library, 2808 Q St., 402-444-4850. Use your DIY skills to make fluffy, slime stress balls and flextangles. This event involves the use of food coloring, shaving cream and markers, so please dress accordingly. Recommended for kids and teens. Registration required.
- 1-4 p.m.: Escape Room at Millard Branch, 13214 Westwood Ln., 402-444-4848. Be "locked" in a meeting room with puzzles, clues (and a few hints) and work together to figure out how to escape! Each hour, there will be one Escape Room for kids in grades 2-4, and a second Escape Room for kids in grades 4-6. Registration required.
Thursday, Jan. 4
- 11 a.m.-2 p.m.: Winter Break Fun Day at W. Dale Clark Main Library. Enjoy the time off from school at the library with games, crafts and snacks.
- 1-2:30 p.m.: Winter Break Maker Day at South Omaha Library. Make catapults, kaleidoscopes and balloon rockets, and learn the science behind each project. Registration required.
- 1-4 p.m.: Escape Room at Millard Branch. Registration required.
- 2-3 p.m.: Winter Fun Day at Milton R. Abrahams Branch. Join us for donut-making while listening to a librarian read a great book. Registration required.
Friday, Jan. 5, 1-4 p.m.: Escape Room at Millard Branch. Registration required.
Saturday, Jan. 6, noon-4 p.m.: Teen Winter Break Double Feature at Milton R. Abrahams Branch. Movies, pizza and snacks!
Visit omahalibrary.org or your neighborhood branch for information about additional programs and services offered at Omaha Public Library’s 12 metro locations.