Halloween can be a frighteningly frenzied time of year. Between acquiring treats, costumes and decorations, parents may seek simple solutions for seasonal fun without adding to the already hectic time and expenses! Omaha Public Library (OPL) can help with fun, free, pre-planned programs and activities for all ages to enjoy. Registration may be required for some events and parental permission is required for all lock-in activities. Visit omahalibrary.org or call the hosting location for more information.
For kids & families:
- Saturday, Oct. 13, 3-4 p.m.: Spooky Saturday at South Omaha Library, 2808 Q St., 402-444-4850. Gather around the campfire to listen to slightly scary stories told in the dark, followed by a glowing eye craft, creepy sensory activities and a snack. For ages 5-11.
- Monday, Oct. 22, 4:30-5:45 p.m.: LEGO Club Halloween Edition at South Omaha Library. Use black lights, glow-in-the-dark bricks, and your imaginations to build LEGO creations!
- Tuesday, Oct. 23, 6-7:30 p.m.: Spooktacular at Florence Branch, 2920 Bondesson St., 402-444-5299. Join us for slightly scary stories, a bounce house, crafts, games, snacks and treats. Costumes are encouraged. Program provided in partnership with the Florence Community Center and Senior Center.
- Friday, Oct. 26, 2-2:45 p.m.: Jeff Quinn’s Spooky Magic Show at Milton R. Abrahams Branch, 5111 N. 90th St., 402-444-6284. This fun, family-friendly magic show will contain spooky (but not scary) tricks, lots of audience participation, and age-appropriate humor for both kids and adults.
Saturday, Oct. 27
- 10:30 a.m.-noon: Spooktacular at Saddlebrook Branch, 14850 Laurel Ave., 402-884-7473. Enjoy trick-or-treat stations, crafts, a 'spooky' scavenger hunt, storytime at 11 a.m., and toys and bouncing in the Community Center gym. Family-friendly costumes are encouraged.
- 1-5 p.m.: Haunted House at Millard Branch, 13214 Westwood Lane, 402-444-4848. Join us for a haunted house designed by the members of the Millard Branch Teen Advisory Board. Registration is required.
- 2-3 p.m.: Spooky Science at South Omaha Library. Participate in Halloween-themed, hands-on experiments exploring static electricity, chemical reactions and density. Make “bloody” hand prints, dancing ghosts and more! Things may get messy; please dress accordingly.
- Tuesday, Oct. 30, 10 a.m.-noon: Tiny Tots Halloween Party at A.V. Sorensen Branch, 4808 Cass St., 402-444-5274. Listen to spooky stories, make a craft, and get the wiggles out in the gym and bounce house. This event is for children ages 5 and younger.
- Wednesday, Oct. 31, 10:30 a.m.-noon: Halloween Fun Fest at W. Dale Clark Main Library, 215 S. 15th St., 402-444-4800. Youth and their caregivers are welcome to wear their favorite costumes to enjoy a shadow (slightly scary!) storytime, get creative with make-and-take crafts, and make some delicious treats. After the party, go trick-or-treating in the library! Groups of 10 or more, please register by emailing email@example.com.
- Thursday, Oct. 18, 5:30-7:30 p.m.: Omaha Urban Legends at South Omaha Library. Library staff and teens will share local ghost stories and urban legends around the campfire.
- Thursday, Oct. 25, 4-5:30 p.m.: Anime Club Horror Edition at Charles B. Washington Branch, 2868 Ames Ave., 402-444-4849. Watch and discuss your favorite horror anime.
- Friday, Oct. 26, 6:30-9 p.m.: Halloween Hunger Games Lock-In at Milton R. Abrahams Branch. Participate in the reaping, train, develop survival skills, race to the cornucopia, and test your knowledge. For ages 12-18 years old. Registration and a signed parental permission form is required. Pizza will be provided.
Saturday, Oct 27
- Noon-2 p.m.: DIY Potion Bottles at Florence Branch. Make spooky decorative potion bottles and fill them with candy! Supplies and snacks will be provided, or feel free to bring your own jars to decorate. Registration for groups of three or more is required.
- 1-3 p.m.: Haunted Escape Room at Saddlebrook Branch. Use problem-solving skills to find clues and escape from a locked room within 30 minutes. Open to youth ages 12-18. Registration is required.
- 2-3 p.m.: M&M’s Taste Test Challenge at A.V. Sorensen Branch. Try to identify over 15 different flavors of this classic candy.
- 2-3:30 p.m.: Halloween Treats at Milton R. Abrahams Branch. Join us for books, music, movies, games, and to make Halloween-inspired goodies!
- 4-5 p.m.: Spooky Science at South Omaha Library. Explore chemistry, biology and physics with a spooky twist! Create witch's brew, ghost bubbles and spooky sound machines in these hands-on experiments. This event may get messy, so please dress accordingly.
- Tuesday, Oct. 30, 4:30-5:30 p.m.: Spooky Project Runway Challenge at A.V. Sorensen Branch. Design and create outfits for miniature skeletons. This program is for teens in grades 6-12. Registration is required.
OPL is your source for Halloween books, movies and music; and don’t forget OPL’s books about making unique DIY decorations and show-stopping costumes! Visit omahalibrary.org for more information on these and additional events and resources at Omaha Public Library’s 12 locations.