Halloween can be a frighteningly frenzied time of year. Between acquiring treats, costumes and decorations, parents may seek simple solutions for seasonal fun without adding to the already hectic time and expenses! Omaha Public Library (OPL) can help with fun, free, pre-planned programs and activities for all ages to enjoy. Registration may be required for some events. Visit omahalibrary.org or call the hosting location for more information.
For kids & families:
- Saturday, Oct. 19, 2-2:45 p.m.: Spooky Science at South Omaha Library, 2808 Q St., 402-444-4850. Explore static electricity, chemical reactions and density with hands-on Halloween experiments. This event may get messy; please dress accordingly. Registration is required.
- Tuesday, Oct. 22, 4:30-6 p.m.: Halloween Edition LEGO Club at South Omaha Library. Use black lights and glow-in-the-dark bricks.
- Wednesday, Oct. 23, 6-7:30 p.m.: Halloween Spooktacular at Florence Branch, 2920 Bondesson St., 402-444-5299. Join us for slightly scary stories, activities and snacks provided in cooperation with the Florence Community Center and Senior Center. Costumes are encouraged. Registration is recommended.
- Saturday, Oct. 26
- 10:30-noon: Saddlebrook Spooktacular at Saddlebrook Branch, 14850 Laurel Dr., 402-444-5780. Fun activities are scheduled in cooperation with the Saddlebrook Community Center including crafts, storytimes, trick-or-treating, bounce house and gym toys, and more! Costumes are encouraged.
- 10:30 a.m.-1 p.m.: Benson Boo Bash: Haunted Reads at Benson Branch, 6015 Binney St., 402-444-4846. Listen to haunted stories and make spooky crafts while supplies last. Stories will be read every 30 minutes.
- 1-5 p.m.: Haunted House at Millard Branch, 13214 Westwood Ln., 402-444-4848. Walk through a maze in a semi-dark room with music, Halloween characters and props. Costumes are welcome. Registration is required.
- 2-3 p.m.: Halloween Family Dance Party at Milton R. Abrahams Branch, 5111 N. 90th St., 402-4446284. Show off your best dance moves. Costumes are welcome and treats will be provided.
- 2-3 p.m.: Haunted Candy Land at South Omaha Library. Play a life-sized, spooky version of the board game Candy Land. Halloween costumes are welcome. This event is for ages 12 and under.
- Wednesday, Oct. 30
- 10 a.m.-noon: Tiny Tots Halloween Party at A.V. Sorensen Branch, 4808 Cass St., 402-444-5274. Listen to stories, make a craft, play with toys that encourage movement, and get the wiggles out in the gym and bounce house. This free event is for children ages 5 and younger.
- 10:30 a.m.-noon: Halloween Fun Fest at W. Dale Clark Main Library, 215 S. 15th St., 402-444-4800. Youth and their caregivers are welcome to wear costumes to enjoy a slightly scary storytime, make-and-take crafts, and delicious treats. After the party, go trick-or-treating in the library! Groups of 10 or more please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve space.
- Thursday, Oct. 31
- 9:30-10 a.m. & 10:30-11 a.m.: Halloween Family Storytime at Millard Branch. Wear your costume to hear slightly spooky stories and songs, and participate in a parade around the library. Treats will be given to all attendees.
For teens & tweens:
- Thursday, Oct. 10, 5:30-6:30 p.m.: Tween Hangout: Scary Story Read-Aloud at South Omaha Library. Ages 10-15 are invited to join in on spooky storytelling. Snacks will be provided.
- Saturday, Oct. 12, 2-4 p.m.: Halloween Edition Dungeons & Dragons at A.V. Sorensen Branch. Program is for teens in grades 6-12. Registration is required.
- Friday, Oct. 18, 2-4 p.m.: Teen Halloween Gaming at Saddlebrook Branch. Snacks will be provided.
- Thursday, Oct. 24, 5:30-7 p.m.: Tween Hangout: Zombie Dolls at South Omaha Library. Ages 10-15 are invited to use craft supplies to turn dolls and action figures into zombies. All materials will be provided.
- Saturday, Oct. 26, 2-3 p.m.: Nailed It! Edible Eyeballs at A.V. Sorensen Branch. Make edible eyeballs using various ingredients. Program is limited to teens in grades 6-12. Registration is required.
- Thursday, Oct. 31, 5:30-7 p.m.: Tween Hangout: Haunted Candy Land at South Omaha Library. Ages 10-15 are invited to play a room-sized, spooky version of Candy Land. Halloween costumes are welcome.
For teens & adults:
- Tuesday, Oct. 29, 7-8 p.m.: Haunted Omaha: Tales of the Paranormal at Milton R. Abrahams Branch. Midwest Paranormal History Tours will share some of the macabre legends, lore and facts of Omaha. The stories and legends in this presentation are rated PG-13. There will be information on mature and sensitive subjects. This program is for teens and adults only.
- Wednesday, Oct. 30, 9-10 p.m.: Novel Pictures Book Club: “Candyman” at Alamo Drafthouse Cinema Midtown, 3201 Farnam St. Following the Novel Pictures screening, join OPL staff in Alamo’s Liquid Sunshine Taproom for a lively discussion of the movie and the book that inspired the film. Check out a copy of "In the Flesh" by Clive Barker, the basis for the 1992 film "Candyman." Screening of "Candyman" (99 minutes) is at 7 p.m. Visit Alamo's website for more details and ticketing information. Participants need not attend the movie screening to join in on the discussion.
OPL is also your source for Halloween books, movies and music; and don’t forget OPL’s books about making unique DIY decorations and show-stopping costumes! Visit omahalibrary.org for more information on these and additional events and resources at Omaha Public Library’s 12 locations.