Kids and teens are undoubtedly looking forward to a break from school this fall, and Omaha Public Library (OPL) is the perfect place to spend the downtime! Keep young minds active and engaged by checking out books, music, movies and more, or by attending one of the many free and fun programs offered at your favorite branch. There may be age and registration requirements. Contact the hosting branch or visit omahalibrary.org for more information.
- Thursday, Oct. 10, 6-8:30 p.m.: Teen Movie Night at Milton R. Abrahams Branch, 5111 N. 90th St., 402-444-6284. Ages 12-18 are invited to enjoy a movie, snacks and discussion.
- Friday, Oct. 11, 2-4 p.m.: High School Escape Rooms at Charles B. Washington Branch, 2868 Ames Ave., 402-444-4849. Students in grades 9-12 can try escaping from the room in 30 minutes. Registration is required and space is limited. Contact Nancy Novotny at firstname.lastname@example.org or 402-444-4849.
- Wednesday, Oct. 16, 2-2:45 p.m.: Wildlife Encounters at Millard Branch, 13214 Westwood Ln., 402-444-4848. Learn about wild animals that share the planet.
- Thursday, Oct. 17, 2-3 p.m.: Fun with Books at Millard Branch. Join us for a spirited retelling of "If You Give A Dog A Donut" by Laura Numeroff, as well as games, activities, and food inspired by the book.
Friday, Oct. 18
- 2-4 p.m.: Middle School Escape Rooms at Charles B. Washington Branch. Students in grades 6-8 can try escaping from the room in 30 minutes. Registration is required and space is limited. Contact Nancy Novotny at email@example.com or 402-444-4849.
- 2-4 p.m.: Teen Halloween Gaming at Saddlebrook Branch, 14850 Laurel Ave., 402-444-5780. Play spooky games such as “One Night Ultimate Werewolf” and “Betrayal at the House on the Hill” in the young adult room. Snacks will be provided.
- 2-4 p.m.: Game Time at A.V. Sorensen Branch, 4808 Cass St., 402-444-5274. Play games on Wii, Xbox 360 Kinect, Wii U and Nintendo Switch, or board games.
- Thursday, Oct. 24, 2-3 p.m.: Scaled Tales with Papio NRD at Milton R. Abrahams Branch. Learn about interesting ectotherms like snakes and lizards with help from animal educators from Papio NRD and some special Nebraska residents.
Friday, Oct. 25:
- 10:30-11:30 a.m.: Fontenelle Forest Raptor Recovery at Florence Branch, 2920 Bondesson St., 402-444-5299. Meet native Nebraska raptors while learning about their hunting skills and habitats. Touch artifacts, learn about the history of these animals, and hear the actual calls of the amazing birds.
- 2-4 p.m.: Grades 2-6 Escape Rooms at Charles B. Washington Branch. Students in grades 2-6 can try escaping from the room before time is up! Registration is required and space is limited. Contact Nancy Novotny at firstname.lastname@example.org or 402-444-4849.
Visit omahalibrary.org for more information on these and additional events and resources at Omaha Public Library’s 12 locations.