Omaha Public Library, in partnership with geocaching.com, has brought geocaching indoors to your local library!
Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices (hand-held models and GPS-enabled cell phones). Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location.
At its simplest level, geocaching requires these eight steps:
- Register for a free Basic Membership on geocaching.com
- Visit the "Hide & Seek a Cache" page.
- Enter your postal code and click "search."
- Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name.
- Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS device.
- Use your GPS device to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.
- Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.
- Share your geocaching stories and photos online.
- If you take something from the geocache (or "cache"), leave something of equal or greater value.
- Write about your find in the cache logbook.
- Log your experience at geocaching.com.
How do I get started?
Watch this video to learn more about geocaching.
Puzzle geocaches can be found at four Omaha Public Library locations. Click on the link provided for each OPL geocache to discover clues.