Omaha Public Library, in partnership with geocaching.com, has brought geocaching indoors to your local library!
Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices (hand-held models and GPS-enabled cell phones). Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location.
At its simplest level, geocaching requires these eight steps:
- Register for a free Basic Membership on geocaching.comopens a new window
- Visit the "Hide & Seek a Cache" page.
- Enter your postal code and click "search."
- Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name.
- Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS device.
- Use your GPS device to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.
- Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.
- Share your geocaching stories and photos online.
What are the rules?
- If you take something from the geocache (or "cache"), leave something of equal or greater value.
- Write about your find in the cache logbook.
- Log your experience at geocaching.comopens a new window.
How do I get started?
Watch this videoopens a new window to learn more about geocaching.
Puzzle geocaches can be found at three Omaha Public Library locations. Click on the link provided for each OPL geocache to discover clues.